Sunday, September 26, 2010

Three Stories

I read in some parenting book given to me by a wonderful coworker (ex, I suppose :( ) that it is important to have a nightly routine for baby.

I read this months ago, and they said to begin this around month 2, so we did. However, this other book tells us to start at 3.5 to 4 months old, and now I see why the other book told us to start sooner. It isn't for the baby as much as it is for the parents to be in routine, it is hard to learn a new routine when you're so used to another. When this comes to parenting, it is so easy with a new baby to be quite laissez faire and go about your life... until she is 3.5 months old, then baby needs something predictable for bedtime. We all like it. Everyone has a routine, ours was usually TV, shower, jammies, bed, snuggle, kiss, night.

Anyway, we have had a routine for at least a month now with Brooke, (crazy!!) of feeding, bath, diaper, clothes, snuggles, bed.

After reading this newer book, they suggested story time. I know Brooke has no clue what I am saying, but the repetition of a story is supposed to help calm her down and let her know it is time to sleep.

Well, tonight, we did bath, diaper, jammies, feeding, stories, kisses from daddy, bed. And she was out like a light, that was about 30 minutes ago. After a 10 hour stretch of sleep last night, I'm pretty much 100% positive she'll be up within the hour, and that is A-OK with me.

But I was thinking about these stories that I am reading to Brooke every night. They aren't Jesus, Bible thumping stories (although we received many that we love), but just books about how much we love our girl.

My favorite lines are a sweet ending to a full week and a beautiful beginning to a new one.

"Everything about you is especially fine, I love what you are, I love what you do, Oooo, I love you." -Snuggle Puppy

"I love all that you will be and everything you are." -How do I love you?

"You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway." -Olivia

1 comment: