Thursday, September 16, 2010

Miss Little Homemaker

This week I decided to be super wife and super mom, naturally.

The house is clean.

The toilet has been scrubbed.

The laundry is done.

The diapers are done being prepped.

And- I have cooked two REAL meals. Since Brooke was born, I have cooked:

1- ranch breaded chicken cubes
2- macaroni and hot dogs
3- tacos
4- taco salad

So... this week I set out on a little journey to cook the way that I love to. Truly both meals were so great that I have to tell you what I made!

Chicken Quesadillas

1 T. chili powder
2 T. fresh chopped cilantro
1 T. olive oil
1 lime
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 packages shredded Mexican cheese
1/2 onion diced
1/2 tomato diced
1 chicken breast

1. Mix chili powder, cilantro, olive oil, lime, salt and cumin.
2. Slice chicken breast
3. Cover chicken in mixture.
4. Cook chicken in skillet until there is no pink left inside.
5. Remove chicken from pan and shred when cool enough to touch.
6. In the same skillet, saute onions until golden brown.
7. Heat clean pan (I use cast iron) and place in a tortilla.
8. Layer- cheese, chicken, onion, tomato, cheese. Cover with another tortilla. Warm until cheese is melted.
9. Remove from pan and slice with pizza cutter.

Serve with rice, sour cream and salsa.

AND...

Lemon garlic chicken (I seriously said, "This tastes like wedding food!" and I have been to some GOOD weddings!)

3 T. olive oil
zest of one lemon
3 cloves of garlic (Friends, this means 3 of the little lumps that make up ONE giant lumpy piece or garlic, NOT three big whole things, you might die if you use that much, just saying)
1 T. fresh parsley (I used curly parsley)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 chicken breast

1. Marinate chicken for a little while. (While my chicken was cooking for the quesadillas I made the marinade for this meal and let it sit overnight.)
2. Slice and dice chicken breast.
2. I cooked in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. (sprinkled the rest of the marinade over the meat)

Served with mashed potatoes, hello!

Jon and I share a chicken breast every night, so it is always sliced or cut up before I cook it. Reasons why I do this?
1- cheaper
2- less meat, we really don't need HUGE portions of meat with every meal (unless it is teriyaki beef)
3- cooks way faster, making it cheaper to cook too!

So, this Suzy Homemaker is pooped this week, but her husband has a full belly, and a little garlic breath, but that's okay.

I'm working on making 3 great meals a week, tonight we're aiming for Crispy Citrus Chicken Teriyaki, I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment